The Corridor was built by Henry Goodridge and hailed as a great success when it opened on the 12th October 1825. The opening was attended by 5000 people. The fashion for arcades spread and the concept was taken up by Henry Edmund Goodridge, the son of a successful Bath builder.Henry became an architect in the 1820’s, and was chosen by the eccentric William Beckford, to design a spectacular tower in Landsdown to give him a panoramic view of the countryside. It was thought that this commission supported Goodridge in his building of the corridor
After Goodridge died in 1864, his heirs decided to update the structure. The low piched roof was replaced by a semi circular glass roof, with polished Aberdeen columns replacing the old ones, the Georgian glazed shop fronts were replaced by plate glass.
Bombed by the IRA In 1974 the Corridor was bombed by the IRA. The damage was huge, forcing the Corridor to undergo the biggest renovation program in its 175 year history.